Outdoor Learning Centre Assistant
The Gardens at HCP is a public garden for learning in Saanich, BC. The Horticulture Centre of the Pacific (HCP) is a not-for-profit society focused on the provision of horticulture education and the development and maintenance of 103 acres of educational gardens and conservation lands. We are currently looking for a post-secondary student to fill our Outdoor Learning Centre Assistant employment position. The successful candidate will work with the Youth Programs Coordinator to assist with the planning, development, and facilitation of our new garden nature programs, including a pre-school pilot program. An Early Childhood Education Certificate or Education Degree or studies in these fields would be an asset.
General Duties to include:
- Collaborate in the development of a creative, hands-on and interactive outdoor garden nature pre-school program
- Support and facilitate in the delivery of the outdoor garden nature pre-school program
- Collaborate and help to further develop additional outdoor garden nature programs for a range of ages
- Create marketing ideas and build awareness promoting the HCP’s Outdoor Learning Centre in our community
The successful candidate must:
- Have values and practices collaboration for a fun and interactive learning experience
- Have positive experiences working with children and youth
- Be knowledgeable, with some expertise, in natural environmental systems, including food production
- Have excellent communication and technological skills; provide own laptop
- Complete a Criminal Record Check
- Have a current Emergency First Aid Certificate
Duration: December 14 – February 28, 2021
Wage: $17 per hour
Total Hours: 280 hours
Days: December 14 – December 22 for program planning and January 5 – 23 to include Tuesdays for program delivery; some flexibility for developing a work schedule in addition to program delivery and may include a combination of working remotely and on site.
This position is a Canada Summer Job funded through Service Canada. Applicants must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Actfor the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume with at least three references to Deborah Donahue [email protected] by Wednesday, December 9, 2020.