The Gardens at HCP (https://hcp.ca/) is a public garden and place of learning in Saanich. The HCP is a not-for-profit society focused on the provision of horticulture education and the development and maintenance of 103 acres of educational gardens and conservation lands. We are currently looking for someone fill the employment position of Events/Admin Assistant. The Events/Admin Assistant will help in the office at the reception desk; assist the director with administrative tasks; and assist with private facility rentals and our social media/marketing/website.
The Gardens at HCP is hiring an Events/Admin Assistant for Winter 2020!
This position is full-time (35 hours/week) and temporary for 8 weeks, start date TBD, but must end February 28, 2021. The position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs for youth aged 15-30 and is no longer limited to returning students. The successful candidate will display the following qualities:
- Proven interest and experience in the hospitality and/or wedding and events industry
- Have administrative experience or a willingness to learn
- Friendly manner with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively through verbal, written and online communications
- Ability to stand, kneel, bend, twist and lift heavy objects
Reporting to the Event Manager, the successful candidate will learn through a mix of one-on-one training, hands-on experience and self-directed learning. Over time, the candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Perform site visits with potential event clients
- Set up tables, chairs, tablecloths and A/V equipment according to event layouts and timelines
- Be onsite during events to address client needs and day-of requests
- Assist with various event administrative tasks including, but not limited to, contract preparation, processing payments, updating and maintaining current event files and preparing marketing materials
- Oversee the front desk and gift shop area, including answering the phone, processing transactions, and registering new members and workshop registrations using specialized computer software
- Assist with Community Education workshops by providing instructor liaison during workshops, workshop assistance with room and audio-visual requirements and promotions
- Updating promotional materials such as posters and brochures and adding events to the website calendar
Hours will vary according to the event bookings and may include daytime, weekends and evenings until 11:30pm. The successful candidate will have scheduling flexibility and be able to lift and carry 20 lbs.
35 hours per week / $15.50 per hour depending on experience.
This position is a Canada Summer Job funded through Service Canada. Applicants must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Actfor the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Please submit a cover letter and resume with references to Megan Stacey at [email protected]