Position Title: Hardscaping Instructor – Part-time, Casual
Department: Pacific Horticulture College
Reports To: College Director
Start Date: On or after November 19, 2018 (dependent on course scheduling)
Hours: Varies; classes are 3 to 6.5 hours per day, typically one to three days per
week, ending January 10, 2019 (scheduling can be flexible)
Rate of Pay: $45 per hour of instructional time; preparation time is unpaid
The Horticulture Centre of the Pacific (HCP) is a multi-dimensional not-for-profit society situated on 43 hectares in Saanich. The HCP is home to nine acres of demonstration gardens, a conservation area, a horticulture library, gift shop and plant sales, weddings and other events, and a wide range of youth, community, and professional education.
Established in 1987, the Pacific Horticulture College (PHC) offers full-time and part-time training opportunities in all four levels of the Landscape Horticulturist Apprenticeship. The PHC is designated by the Private Institutions Training Branch (PTIB) and is an Industry Training Authority (ITA) designated training provider. The mission of the PHC is to provide excellence in horticulture training, enabling students to maximize employment opportunities while encouraging environmental stewardship of green space.
The PHC is seeking an instructor to coordinate and teach Hardscaping sessions for Level 3 horticulture apprenticeship students. This position involves, but is not limited to, the following:
- Course preparation and organization of learning activities in some or all of these areas: patios/walkways, steps, retaining walls, wood structures (e.g. decks, archways)
- Instruction, demonstration, and facilitation of practice for the skills listed above
- Coordination with the HCP Head Gardener and staff to accomplish projects on-site
- Organizing and leading relevant field trips
- Assessing students’ knowledge and skills in written and practical formats
- Communicating with students and staff by email and in person
The successful candidate will be responsible for creating a valuable education experience while ensuring adequate development of required skills and knowledge in the provincial trades curriculum. More detailed information about the curriculum requirements may be found on the ITA website: http://www.itabc.ca/program/horticulturist-landscape
Instructors are hired on a per-course basis depending on their subject area of expertise. Once hired, instructors are responsible for teaching based on the provided ITA and PHC learning objectives and will assess students according to these objectives. Instructors are also responsible for course preparation and design of learning and assessment activities, communicating with students by email through the duration of the course, working with the PHC staff to ensure students adhere to college policies, and grading student work and/or performance.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to explain difficult concepts to a diverse group of students
- Demonstrate patience and respect when working with students
- Excellent organization and time management
- Proficiency in hardscaping materials, tools/equipment, and techniques
- Demonstrate safe work practices
- Minimum five years of relevant industry experience is required
- Minimum two years of experience in instructing groups is preferred
- Certificate, Diploma, Degree or other education in a related field is preferred
- Instructional Skills Workshop or other teaching course is preferred
Please submit a current resume that includes evidence of any teaching or training experience and industry experience to [email protected] by Friday October 5, 2018 at 4:30pm.