The Gardens at HCP is a public garden and place of learning in Saanich, BC. HCP (Horticulture Centre of the Pacific) is a not-for-profit society focused on the provision of horticulture education and the development and maintenance of 103 acres of educational gardens and conservation lands. The successful candidate will be filling a newly created position of Financial Administrator within the management team of the Horticulture Centre of the Pacific. The HCP has not only met the pandemic challenge head-on but has also used it as a catalyst to upgrade its technical and online program delivery capacity. This expansion in human resource capacity is consistent with our plans to expand our program deliveries to the community at large. As a member of HCP’s management team, the Financial Administrator (FA), reports directly to the General Manager (GM). Broadly speaking, the FA will perform the bookkeeping function of the HCP, will provide integral administrative support to HCP’s fund development program, and will perform general administrative duties as directed by the GM. The bulk of the duties of the FA are itemized below:
- Perform the general bookkeeping function for the HCP including (but not limited to) the posting of all payables and receivables, preparing cheques for signature by the GM, reconciling bank accounts, maintaining weekly and monthly bank balances, etc.
- Assist the GM in preparing monthly financial statements and financial reports to the Board.
b) Fund Development
- Responsible for the administration and accuracy of the Customer Relationship Manager (CRM) software.
- Oversee the current fundraising database for individual donors, corporate donors, and sponsors of the HCP.
- Manage all data associated with donations including recording and processing of gifts, issuing tax receipts, and preparing acknowledgement letters for appropriate signatures in a timely manner.
- Maintain an ongoing list of “in kind” opportunities for service providers to the HCP.
- Handle the distribution of incoming mail.
- Management of supplies for the office, lunchroom and janitorial service.
- Perform such supporting duties as the GM and other departments may from time to time require.
- High school diploma.
- Post-secondary courses in office administration and/or bookkeeping preferred.
- Understanding of bookkeeping procedures.
- Minimum 1 – 2 years of experience in an office administration role that required multi-tasking and basic bookkeeping, such as accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Experience w/ Microsoft Office applications such as Excel and Word.
- Google Suite and Sage 50 experience would be an asset
- Must have a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent understanding of basic bookkeeping procedures.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Professionalism and ability to manage highly confidential information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Great customer service and interpersonal skills.
This is a permanent position and is initially anticipated at 2.5 – 3 days per week with a possible increase in hours. The hourly rate is between $22.00 – $25.00 depending on experience.
Come and become an integral part of HCP’s expanded role in our community as we “grow” forward. Please submit a current resume that clearly demonstrates relevant education and work experience, with references, to [email protected] by Monday August 2, 2021 at 4:30pm. Applicants will only be contacted if selected for an interview.
Note: For the right candidate, it may be possible to combine this position with the College Assistant position (see other posting) to create a full-time position. Please indicate if you are interested in this opportunity in your application.