Position Title: College Assistant
Department: Pacific Horticulture College
Reports to: College Director, Horticulture Centre of the Pacific (HCP)
Start Date: Week of August 16, 2021
Hours: Part-Time; 20 hours per week (Tuesdays to Saturdays)
Rate of Pay: Starting at $20 per hour
The Pacific Horticulture College (PHC) is located at the Horticulture Centre of the Pacific in Victoria, BC. Established in 1987, the PHC offers full-time and part-time training opportunities in all four levels of the Landscape Horticulturist Apprenticeship. The PHC is designated by the Private Institutions Training Branch (PTIB) and is an Industry Training Authority (ITA) designated training provider. The mission of the PHC is to provide excellence in horticulture training, enabling students to maximize employment opportunities while encouraging environmental stewardship of green space.
The PHC is growing and is looking for an enthusiastic and hardworking person to join its administrative team. The College Assistant supports the day-to-day operations of college programs by providing administrative support for the College Director, College Administrator, and instructors. The ideal candidate is able to respectfully interact with a variety of different people, is comfortable using computers and learning new software, and is willing to take on a variety of tasks to help provide the best possible experience for our students and help move PHC forward within the industry. Flexibility for occasional evening and weekend work is required due to the nature of the programming.
The College Assistant is responsible for the following:
- Order office supplies, textbooks, and other materials;
- Print/photocopy course materials;
- Compile student feedback and other information;
- Maintain student and instructor records;
- Assist with exam supervision, field trips, and other course activities as needed;
- Provide support for instructors and students as needed;
- Handle prospective student inquiries;
- Organize student work experience placements;
- Coordinate Integrated Pest Management course registration;
- Maintain College Moodle and Zoom accounts;
- Contribute content for social media posts and newsletter articles;
- Participate in marketing activities and events; and
- Other related duties as required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organization skills
- Punctual and reliable
- Able to multi-task efficiently to meet deadlines
- Able to work independently and as part of a small team
- Demonstrate patience and respect when working with students and colleagues
- Demonstrate confidentiality when handling student records
- Competency in website editing and social media is an asset
- Minimum two years in an administrative role that required multi-tasking. Administrative experience in an educational context is ideal.
- Post-secondary education in Administration is an asset.
- Experience and/or education in Horticulture is an asset.
Why Work For Us?
- Extended health and dental benefits after a probationary period
- Supportive and inclusive work environment
- Consistent year-round work schedule with regular hours
- Beautiful garden setting
- Complimentary coffee and tea, plus on-site café available
- Free parking
- Opportunities for growth
Please submit a current resume that clearly demonstrates relevant education and work experience to [email protected] by Monday August 2, 2021 at 4:30pm. Applicants will only be contacted if selected for an interview.
Note: For the right candidate, it may be possible to combine this position with the Financial Administrator position (see other posting) to create a full-time position. Please indicate if you are interested in this opportunity in your application.