The Gardens at HCP (https://hcp.ca/) is a public garden and place of learning in Saanich. The HCP is a non-profit society and charitable organization focused on the provision of horticulture education and the development and maintenance of 103 acres of educational gardens and conservation lands.
ABOUT THE JOB...
The Operations Manager should be a high-energy professional who is proactive and self-motivated with a demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically. Ideally, a qualified Operations Manager of a Non-profit will wear many different hats and have experience in the different facets critical in NPO's: finance, event management, administration, and operations. An Operations Manager is not an hour-counter, but works the hours necessary to hit their goal. The Operations Manager will be under the direct supervision of the General Manager.
- Assist the GM to supervise day-to-day Logistics and operations.
- Step in when needed as support for Front Desk staff.
- Assist the GM with all financial duties.
- Works in collaboration with the General Manager (GM) to lead and inspire a seasoned team of employees to meet organization goals and deliver impeccable & consistent guest service quality and capacity.
- Promotes a helpful and friendly environment to ensure guests arrive and leave with a great impression; turns challenges into opportunities; collaborates; brings positive attitude every day.
- Manages gift shop inventory with an eye for organization, display, and stocking of products.
- Works closely with the GM to plan and accomplish revenue targets by action planning, communicating goals, and following processes and best practices.
- Ensures all cash handling policies, health and safety requirements, and building and equipment maintenance standards are meeting company and government standards in all aspects of operational and team day-to-day execution.
- Work closely with the internal marketing team to develop and implement promotional strategies for each event, maximizing attendance and community engagement.
- To direct and control events in the facility at an excellent level while maintaining and abiding by all standards, policies and/or procedures set forth by our organization.
- Managing clients and customer service, including event quotes, and accounts management
- Plays a pivotal role in the planning and execution of our main fundraising festival and manage weddings and event bookings throughout the year.
- Commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive and respectful working and learning environment.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time and tasks with attention to detail.
- Ability to problem solve by using judgement, independent thinking and/or analysis.
- Ability to interpret policies and procedures.
- Experience in maintaining confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision, and as part of a team with the interpersonal skills to carry out this role effectively and efficiently.
- Proficiency with computer applications (i.e., MS-Office Suite, Adobe Suite, content management systems).
- Ability to learn new computer software and technology as required.
- Excellent organization skills
- Excellent understanding of basic bookkeeping procedures
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional demeanor
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with others.
- Openly shares ideas and information.
- Assists guests and team members unprompted.
- Takes pride in the achievement of personal and team objectives.
- High customer service ethic –passionate about meeting customer expectations and improving service levels.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with the ability to multitask and prioritize effectively.
- Positive, can-do attitude, working effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, during event periods.
- Knowledge of and a passion for Non-profits.
- This position requires a level of education, training, and experience equivalent to 3 years of experience working within a comparable environment including proven experience in event planning and coordination, either in previous work or volunteer roles.
- Minimum 2 years using Sage Accounting Software.
Why we love working here:
We believe in people, communities and giving-back. That means flexibility when we can, health/dental benefits, meeting and collaborating with wonderful individuals, an eclectic work environment, extra-curricular summer gardening. It means contributing to original, unique, engaging projects with purpose. It means helping people in our community, creating a safe space, and being part of something bigger than ourselves.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent, In-person
Salary: $48,000.00-$54,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Store and plants discount
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 37.5-hour work week
- Wednesday to Sunday
Apply today! Our ideal candidate has a passion for their community, the environment, giving back, our culture and being an active member of our team. If this position sounds like a great fit for you, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected].
We are grateful for your time and consideration in applying to join our team. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.